What the law says
New regulations came into force for public sector bodies on 23 September 2018. This means that we now have a legal duty to make sure that our online services are accessible.
The Government Digital Service (GDS) has guidance which explains the 3 compliance deadlines and exemptions:
- a new website, published on or after 23 September 2018, must be accessible by 23 September 2019
- an existing website must be accessible by 23 September 2020
- a mobile app must be accessible by 23 June 2021
GDS has also provided the following guidance on:
- understanding new accessibility requirements for public sector bodies
- making your website or app accessible and publishing an accessibility statement
Find out more about accessibility from the Government accessibility blog.